Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

My circuit tester indicates "open ground" at an outlet. What

Customer Question

My circuit tester indicates "open ground" at an outlet. What does that mean?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Typically, it means that the equipment grounding conductor (bare copper or green insulated ground wire) is open in either the entire circuit or at that receptacle or the next upstream receptacle or no ground is present. If the circuit was installed in EMT metal conduit, this can also mean that either a coupling or a box connector came loose on the conduit and no longer continuity. EMT metal conduit also acts as an equipment grounding conductor.

2) However, when using 3 prong receptacle testers, these can provide a false reading depending upon the hot or neutral conductor terminations.

3) The best and recommended testing tool to check for a properly wired receptacle is an AC voltmeter. Plug-in cube testers are not the most reliable and accurate electrical testers as they have been know to provide false indications.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good answer. Kevin did a very good job, thanks.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

Thanks..........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)