Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that the fan switch went

Customer Question

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that the fan switch went bad. I didn't write down the wire colors and have tried all combinations of the wires to get it to work. It always turns on, just doesn't have the appropriate speeds. And only some combinations it actually turns off. It's a 4-wire switch with wire colors black gray brown and purple. The replace the switch I bought is a Westinghouse 77288. Are you able to help?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Keep in mind that ceiling fan switches are not all generic, in fact many switches require an exact replacement as the original fan model. If you purchased a generic replacement switch at Home Depot or Lowe's, a good chance that it will not work. There are also a variety of ceiling fan switching patterns that the manufacturers use. Thus, there is no consistency at all with ceiling fan switches.

I suggest to contact the website below and provide them with your fan model number to obtain the correct switch replacement.

http://eceilingfans.com/switches_-_pull_chain_-_ceilin.html

2) The wire colors on ceiling fans don't mean anything as the manufacturers use a variety of wire colors. About the only wire color that is consistent is the black wire which is typically the hot wire. The remaining 3 colors are for the 3 different motor speeds.

I've installed hundreds and hundreds of ceiling fans over the years and I've never come across any ceiling fan manufacturer that provides a schematic wiring diagram.

3) Whenever replacing electrical devices, always take either a photo of the original wiring and/or label the wires accordingly prior to de-installing the device.

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks..........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks..........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks..........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)