Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Electrican 6+ years
91004775

Trying to hook up an insteon switches to an existing 4-way

Customer Question

Customer: trying to hook up an insteon switches to an existing 4-way circuit
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: power comes into box 1, box 2 has the typical travellers, but box 3 has the traveller again... the house was wired goofy, so the light could be anywhere in the loop. I found one note that a multi-way circuit with an insteon 6 or 8 button controller has to be with the box that the power comes into, so in my case box 1.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Box 1 has two black/white wires plus the black/white/red, Box 2 has two black/white/red wires and Box 3 has one black/white/red wire.
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** i would love to help you with your Insteon switches.

Please study page 12 in this manual. We need to find the line wire from the panel and the load wire to the lights, do you have a multimeter or any wire tester??