Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Looking sizes, diagram/breakers/etc design pier lights. My

Customer Question

Looking for wiring sizes, diagram/breakers/etc design for my pier lights. My pier is 300ft long, and it's another 80ft to the main from the pier. I want to run to the pier beginning an put in a breaker box( cutoff switch), then run wire to the lights at the end. The lights (2) that I want to put in are 1000 watts each. Im not sure which wires/breakers to use for this.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Are both lights at the end of the 300ft? What voltage? Are you going to have any receptacles for power?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
both lights will be at the end of the pier. 120v. I would also like a receptacle at the end of the pier also to power a pump for a bait well.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

For the length of the run and the loads(2 lights & 1 receptacle. I suggest installing a small 3R sub panel to allow for only a single feed circuit . multiple circuits which would be 3-20A for the loads and the wire size make it a better way to do it. Your thoughts.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A 3R at the end of the pier? That's doable... What about at the beginning of the pier and the wire sizes?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

60A sub panel 2-#4, 1-#6 & 1-#10 copper THWN. 1" conduit min but 1 1/4" suggested.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

A pullbox at the shoreline.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
im still confused... I just need more details...A picture would help... Or just fill in all the ? belowMain(Breaker size?)------80ft--(wire#?)------Pier Start (box type?, breaker sizes?)-------300ft---wire#?------ end of pier(box type?, breakers?)------20ft-- wire?---- (receptacle, light1, light2) Also what about grounding rods at the boxes?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Might be better to speak with you on the phone.