Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I was attempting to wire an addition outlet. I cut a hot

Customer Question

I was attempting to wire an addition outlet. I cut a hot wire leading to a switch and no switches on my breaker popped but various locations in my home have lost power. I have since reconnected the wire to its original state but the power will not return. What is the problem?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. What room is the box in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Circuit box?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

No, the box where you cut the wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the basement, specifically the exercise room. the electric has stopped working in the downstairs kitchen, bathroom and upstairs dinning room. No breaker has popped. I have also checked all GFI's.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? If so, you need to test the breakers. Sometimes they don't look tripped but are. Let me know and we can continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a tester but I turned off the whole box and switched it back on anyway. Still no luck in returning power.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

When there is an issue of lost power you need to test, not guess. Testers are available at any home center, get one and we can continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... Going to home depot right now. I will contact you when I return.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Very good. Get a 2 wire Volt/Con type tester.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Mike I have the tester.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

OK, open the panel and test each breaker to the neutral bar for voltage. One probe on the wire screw and one pribe on the bar. Each one should show 120V.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike.. The breakers for the dinning room and the weight room are not testing. All others are giving me 120
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Turn one off fully and back on to reset. Then retest both. Keep one off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did exactly that,no response both still not testing.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Do the breakers have test buttons on them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Negative
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Pull the breakers and test the buss connection to neutral bar. Need to know if breakers failed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled each breaker, Tested wire directly. Still no voltage
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Not the wire. The Buss where the breaker connects in the panel. If you have voltage on the buss, connect only one of the wires to a working breaker, check to see if the unconnected wire becomes hot. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh ok...Just Did that the spots where the breakers were are not testing but there are 2 empty spots that are. Should I switch them to the empty spots?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes but only one. I'm testing to see if you connected the 2 circuits together causing the failure. But first, is there another panel feeding this panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a meter outside but no panel. After the meter the service runs directly to this breaker.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

OK, flip the main breaker off fully and back on to reset. There has to be something causing the 2 positions to be dead. After doing that, test the buss positions again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok... I may Lose you after that. My computer is connected to the house.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

How did you do?