Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Are you familiar with California Three Way wiring sometimes

Customer Question

Customer: Are you familiar with California Three Way wiring sometimes called a Coast 3-way?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hello
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Payment made.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cesco-content/unilog/Batch5/085267/578065-InstallationSheetURL.pdf
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. A California 3 way has a hot wire to the common termination on a 3 way and 2 traveler wire on the other terminations at one switch. At the second 3 way the travelers from switch one connect in the same way to the gold screws and the common is the switched hot going to the light.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Right!I am trying to wire the Honeywell timer into the system
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can that be done?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a neutral in the box
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you look at the schematic I pasted above I can connect to the neutral, load and line but I do not know where the yellow wire goes.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Give me the model number for verification. In most cases a modification of connections is required.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Honeywell PLS750C/
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Full name: Honeywell PLS750C1000 EconoSwitch
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
www.cesco.com/b2c/product/Honeywell-PLS750C1000-EconoSwitch/611008
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
s3.amazonaws.com/cesco-content/unilog/Batch5/085267/578065-InstallationSheetURL.pdf
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

OK , the yellow connects to a red traveler to the standard 3 way, the blue connects to the switched hot going to the light, the other traveler will connect to both the hot and a traveler termination. The white connects to both the timer white and the fixture white.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand that for a standard three way. I have a California or a Coast three way. I have a neutral in the box. I can connec to the load or common and the two wires at the top of the original switch will alternate hot when the switch is toggled. I do not have a red.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can connect the blue to the load. The black can go to one of the hots at the top of the switch but I don't think the yellow can go to the other.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If this could help I do not need this circuit to be a three way anymore. I just want this timer to work.Thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

That is a Carter 3 way. Hot and neutral at both switches and the common alternates either hot or neutral. You can't use a timer on that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Can I make this thing work with what I have? I was able to make three way motion detector switches work for some of my circuits that are California three ways. That is why I thought I could make this work somehow
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
For instance the instructions show using a jumper at the other switch.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Only if you omit the operation on one switch. You make the neutral a solid connection and cap the black at the discontinued switch. At the timer connect black, white and blue. Yellow not used. Can't use as a 3 way without traveler wires.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Thank you
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome.