Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have three light switches light. I want to disable one of

Customer Question

Customer: I have three light switches for one light. I want to disable one of them. What do I do. Has two black hot wires, two red and the ground.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just want to eliminate one of the three switches that control amy kitchen lights. I want to use the gang box for a wink relay using the other switch in that gang box to control the relay
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If you have 3 switches all controlling (1) one light, that means that you have a 4-way switching application......ie.....two 3-way switches and one 4-way switch.

2) In order to eliminate a switch, all you need to do is remove the middle 4-way switch or re-wire the other two 3-ways.

3) Not sure what you mean by a "wink relay"? Relay controlled lighting are not commonly found in residential lighting applications. Only found in commercial or industrial lighting control panels.

4) Do you want to install an Occupancy Sensor? Is that what you mean by a "wink relay"?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The wink relay is a smart home device that controls all my stuff through my wifi. I am ok with installing it, just need to know how to set up the wiring in the 4 way switch to eliminate it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The switch I want to neautralize has two hot black wires, two red wires and a ground. What do I do with the four wires?
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

I will opt of the question as I've never heard of a wink relay. Perhaps another expert here has experience with wink relays and I will send your question back to the open board to allow other experts to chime in. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert pick's up the question.

Thanks:)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has nothing to do with the wink How do I just eliminate the four way switch
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

1) De-install the exiting 4-way switch and connect the 2 traveler wires from one 3-way switch to the other 3-way. The 2 brass screws on a 3-way switch are the traveler connections.

Remove the travelers on the 4-way switch and splice them to the 3-way switch travelers.

See diagram shown below for two 3-way switches:

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't have a clue what that means. What do I do with the five wires on the switch I want to remove - two black (hot) two red and a ground.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

1) The 4-way switch will contain 2 brass screws on the top and another 2 brass screws on the bottom of the switch.

Remove the 2 top brass screw wire pairs and splice them together. Repeat the same for the 2 bottom pair brass screw wire pairs on the 4-way and splice them together.

2) This will now eliminate the middle 4-way switch and you will wind up with two 3-way switches just like in the diagram I previously posted.

3) Splice the ground wires together for a common equipment grounding path.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks that is what I needed to know - in English.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Very good, no problemo:)

Reply back and let me know how you make out...........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Switches don't work, no lights.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wired top black (hot) to top red and bottom black (hot) to bottom red. Now other switches don't work
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just read something online that says I should have done black to black and red to red That worked. Your advice was wrong, I want a credit for my payment.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

1) Wire colors don't mean anything.... all depends on how it was originally wired. The 2 top and 2 bottom brass screws connect to the respective 3-way brass screws.

I've opted out of your question.