Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.
1) If you have 3 switches all controlling (1) one light, that means that you have a 4-way switching application......ie.....two 3-way switches and one 4-way switch.
2) In order to eliminate a switch, all you need to do is remove the middle 4-way switch or re-wire the other two 3-ways.
3) Not sure what you mean by a "wink relay"? Relay controlled lighting are not commonly found in residential lighting applications. Only found in commercial or industrial lighting control panels.
4) Do you want to install an Occupancy Sensor? Is that what you mean by a "wink relay"?
Thanks for the replies.
I will opt of the question as I've never heard of a wink relay. Perhaps another expert here has experience with wink relays and I will send your question back to the open board to allow other experts to chime in. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert pick's up the question.
1) De-install the exiting 4-way switch and connect the 2 traveler wires from one 3-way switch to the other 3-way. The 2 brass screws on a 3-way switch are the traveler connections.
Remove the travelers on the 4-way switch and splice them to the 3-way switch travelers.
See diagram shown below for two 3-way switches:
1) The 4-way switch will contain 2 brass screws on the top and another 2 brass screws on the bottom of the switch.
Remove the 2 top brass screw wire pairs and splice them together. Repeat the same for the 2 bottom pair brass screw wire pairs on the 4-way and splice them together.
2) This will now eliminate the middle 4-way switch and you will wind up with two 3-way switches just like in the diagram I previously posted.
3) Splice the ground wires together for a common equipment grounding path.
Very good, no problemo:)
Reply back and let me know how you make out...........Thanks...........Kevin:)
1) Wire colors don't mean anything.... all depends on how it was originally wired. The 2 top and 2 bottom brass screws connect to the respective 3-way brass screws.
I've opted out of your question.