ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

Electrical Gutters
, There is an existing 200A service,

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, Electrical Gutters
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There is an existing 200A service, being fed by a new 50kVa OH transformer. We are adding a new 200A service. The existing meter is being fed by (3) 3/0 conductors. Electric company will require a gutter for the new service. Will the feeders need to be upgraded? Existing load 29.2kVA, Proposed additional load, 38.4kVA
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

From your question, you want to use the existing meter stack to feed the two 200 A services. Is this a commercial or residential installation?

Thanks Ken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is (1) existing meter (200A service), we are adding a new meter (200A service) and gutter. This is commercial.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, I will return in a bit with an answer

Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Per NEC Article 230, the size of the service conductors are determined by calculating the connected load, not by the size or number of meter bases.

You mentioned a load which calculates out to 282 Amps which will require additional or upsized conductors - you could add another paralleled run of 3/0, the simplest solution.