Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Alex, it appears my microwave caused a power surge and non

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Alex, it appears my microwave caused a power surge and non of my outlets in the kitchen along one wall are working, including the fridge the GCFI is on the opposite wall and that works fine do I need to replace all of my outlets?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well, I was microwaving bacon, and the microwave cut out, I reset the gcfi and it turned on briefly, then out again.....I tested my other outlets with a lamp and none of them work, including the fridge
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The first thing to do is check for a tripped GFCI receptacle and or a tripped breaker. If none tripped you'll need a 2 wire voltage tester to test and identify the failure. I would suggest that a new circuit for the microwave should be installed. It should have been on its own to begin with due to its load.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
By circuit do you mean it's own gcfi outlet?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

No, I mean a independent line from the panel on its own breaker. It's load may not be a problem until another load like the refrigerator kicks on. When that happens you will either trip a breaker or have a connection on the circuit fail due to the load. The major appliances should be independent.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The appliances along that wall have been on the same circuit for years and what you're telling me sounds major, what is like is to get power back to my kitchen
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a 2 wire tester? You'll need to test the dead outlet as directed to determine what the cause of the failure is. Need to know what it is to correct it.