ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have an intermit timer that I only need to act as a

Customer Question

Customer: I have an intermit timer that I only need to act as a switch. I have no load going out of it. Can this be done?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I want to uninstall an outdoor with to my pool light and replace it with a timed switch
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

Can you tell me a little more about what you are trying to do?

Thank you, Ken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to remove the outdoor switch for my pool light, and replace with a timer so my lights will automatically turn on and off each day. I have an Intermatic T103R timer; but I only want to use as a timer. I do not need to have any load coming out of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just take the wires going to the switch and connect them to the Intermatic with no load going out to a device?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

So...the timer will control the pool light, right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't need power going in and and then out to the light. I just need power going in.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

OL, peer going in will go on terminal A (the neutral/white) and the hot wire will connect to terminal 1

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that it? I don't need to worry about load going out also?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

The load is what you want the timer to control, in this case it should be the light but you said you did not need a load which sounded a bit odd. The light, which is the load, connects, white with white/neutral and black to light goes on terminal 2.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am replacing the switch for the pool light (power going to switch), not having power go to the timer and then to the light switch. Do you understand?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

I do not, what will the timer control? The timer requires power to operate, this is the Line and the timer controls something, this is called the Load.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just like replacing a light switch in your wall....I want to take that switch out and replace with a timer switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You there?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you, ***** ***** what I thought. The timer requires a neutral to operate. Find the bundle of white/neutrals in the box and add a white to the bundle making sure it is long enough to reach the A Terminal on the timer. You now have to determine which black wire on the existing switch is hot. One way to tell if you do not have a meter or test light is to fnd the black on the old switch that is also in a bundle of 2 to 4 other blacks. This is the hot and it connects to Terminal 1 on the timer. The other black wire from the old switch connects to Terminal 2 on the timer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from the box containing the current switch, the white goes to terminal A, one black goes to terminal 1 and one black goes to terminal 2....correct?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

That is correct, it is important that the hot wire from the old switch connect to Terminal 1 for the clock timer to operate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I determine which wire is hot?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Per above, find the black on the old switch that is connected to 2-4 other blacks in the box, this will be the hot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, let me know if you have any other questions.