Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Electrican 6+ years
91004775

Hunter fan
, four wires going down to motor from

Customer Question

Customer: hunter fan
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: four wires going down to motor from existing remote reciever tryibg to hook up universal remote need common and hot fot hign speed have gray red yellow and pink
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 11 months ago.

All electrical panels have multiple "phases" or lines of 120v or 277v. In homes it is usually two lines of 120. You can verify this by looking at the inside of your panel. If you see 4 wires then you have two 120 volt legs coming into your panel from the meter can. I say 4 wires because there should be a "grounding conductor" ground and a "Grounded conductor" neutral and two 120 v feeders.

Hello sir, my name is ***** ***** i would love to help you with your hunter fan. If there anything you can offer me in the way of information? as in pictures of the electrical box and make and model of the universal remote.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
These wires are on the fan.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The black and white go to the lights. Other 4 go to motor. New remote will choke voltage to motor to slow speed. Need to hook to high speed

hmm, ok. So, let me see if i understand. Your ceiling fan will not go to high speed at all. It seems to be stuck on low and its happening because of the remote? was the remote installed recently?

also, another thing to check. If the fan has a pull chain for the fan speed, make sure you have the "pull chain" setting on high.

and, are the light and fan controlled by separate switches? Or was the remote for both the light and fan?

I wanted to add that the only way we are going to know for sure is if we test all the wires, to do that we will need a multimeter. I also have another question, what color wires are coming from the fan and what color wires are coming from the electrical box? also, i dont have a crystal clear picture of the problem. so please, if you can. I would like you to explain as much as you can in the best detail possible. So , anything you may have done llike measure for voltage or trace a wire would be super helpful.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Old remote that came with fan is gone. Fan has no chains to pull. Wiring in universal remote receiver to lights and directly to the motor wires. Lights work. Can't figure out what two wires out of the four going to motor control it on high so I can I interrupt circuit with new controller

ok i see, you will have a remote for the lights and a remote for the fan. I am assuming two of those wires coming in are a 120 volt feed?

This is how is should be. one 120 v feed into the reciever, then you will have a feed for lights and a feed for fan all common (neutral) wires spliced together.

what brand universal remote?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hunter. I just need wire color out of 4 wires I have told you. What wire is the hot for motor on high
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any idea??

Do you have a multimeter?

the fan speed is controlled by the remote, there is no 'high speed wire" as far as i can find anywhere. Nor in my experience in this trade.

I hope i have been of help to you, If you need to ask anything im here boss.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Had to buy new fan!! Didn't help at all!! Thanks for trying

I am sorry I couldn't be of more service, I hope you enjoy your new fan! :)