Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Electrican 6+ years
91004775

I was replacing the electrical wire wall plug in expecting

Customer Question

i was replacing the electrical wire wall plug in expecting two wires a pos and neg and found five wires. can you help me..
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
multi meter
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did I lose you
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

I assume that the wires are 2 black, 2 white & 1 red, please verify. Was the receptacle switched?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok ill be back
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Standing by.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All five wires are yellow.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Are they entering the box together or 2 in one entry and 3 in another. You'll need to test for 120V on a pair of wires. Let me know the entries and if the 120V was on the 2 or 3 wire entries. Who ever installed the wiring didn't mark them for identification.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they are all separate wires There is no electricity, This is a heavy duty lab light. I need to wire a wall plug in to it.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Your original statement was about a receptacle, how did we get to a light fixture? If you had a receptacle it should have had voltage.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you are correct
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know what you have and what you want. Be specific.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am trying to wire a big light. The wall plug in needed replaced. I pulled the wires and found five wires,,expecting two. A pos and neg.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

As I asked, what colors, how many paired when they enter, are the wires still connected to the receptacle?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no they are not connected it is how I received it. The color is yellow all five and none of the wires are paired
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

I'm asking about the receptacle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Lucky me
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Obviously we aren't communicating. I'm going to opt out. Stand by for another expert.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks Mike
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** allow me 2 mins to read over your issue

Ok, so from what i understand you need to put the receptical in so that you can plug the lab light in? Am i right? However all wires are yellow so we dont know just what wires we need to attach.

to be able to determine what wires you need to attach you will need a miltimeter voltage tester. I see you do have on. Good. Do you know if this plug was working before it was removed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK i am back.

Hey boss

Really ALL yellow? Thats a first for me. Nothing we can figure out, but you have a good one. You will have to find your 120vc feed in this box. the only way to do it is to test each wire individually.

Can you do this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK how should I do that.

Take your multi meter and set it test volts. Does this box have any wires attached directly to the box? OR are there any "ground" wires showing? These are usually green. AND is the box metal?

Additionally, this is live electricity. You must use proper care when handling it. It could be your life.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the light has no power to it

We can fix that

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok

Can you send a picture of this set up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
talk to me

I will need detailed photographs in order to assist you further

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok i can take them on my phone. Will that work for you

that would be fantastic

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can i get the phone pics to you

You will need to attach them to the chat box and send though just answer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok I dont see a chat box. My phone sent me messages saying what your solution was. Can I send the pics through that?

Im not sure how that works exactly. Im going to opt out of this due to my misunderstanding.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what misunderstanding

Im not exactly sure how to help you sir, If you can upload those pictures into the chat box i will be able to assist you further.

Ok if i understand you correctly, you are trying to connect a cable to a lab light so it will plug into the receptical? Is this correct? If so i will need the manufacturer and model of the lab light.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not see the chat box...can you help me.

yes, here is my email***@******.*** send the photos there

the chat box is the window that contains our dialogue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks I will try
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I cant send my pics through email so could I have a phone number so I could text them to?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Wayne

13024303327

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok I sent the pics, let me know if you got them

have not received any pictures

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried to email them to you also

ok I have the pictures, i think i can help you

do you know what the voltage is that will be applied to the lights? This is a multi tap transformer and how we wire it will depend on what the voltage is. This will require a multi meter and getting close to a working light. Or you could send a picture of the breaker that turns the lights off and i can tell you.

i would need to see a picture of the whole panel and the breaker.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the voltage will be 110 volts.

ok your feed in is a white black and ground right?

Your white wire coming in will wire nut to the white wire coming off the light. The green wire coming in is your ground wire, this can be bonded anywhere to the light housing that is meatal..like the case. Now, the black wire is going to go to just one of those five yellow wires coming off of the light.

all of those five wires should be labeled with very small writing i can make out 277 and 208 from the photo.

one of those wires will say 120, this will be the wire you will splice the black feed wire coming in with

I hope this was helpful :)

Again i say White coming in to White on the light, Green is ground, it goes to the case, and Black will go to just One of the Yellow wires labeled 120

Please don't forget to rate me :) this is how my company knows who i am. I hope you have a good Holiday!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your time

You are welcome sir :)

If you don't require any additional assistance with your light please take a moment and rate me, it would be very much appreciated. If you do require further assistance i am still here to help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The housing is not metal so would it be ok to run the ground to the ground wire to the light

Yes, any metal part of the fixture.

Any metal part that isnt part of the lighting circuit. The ground is there for safety. If part(s) of the light become energized the ground wire will tell the breaker to trip.

Were you able to get your 400 watt Metal Halide light working sir?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. tell me again. I need to know where to connect my black and white wire to and my green. I don't see anywhere to connect the green grd. Could you look at the picture I sent you.

.OK let's just confirm a few things. Would you like to do it over the phone? I think that this would be a much easier and more helpful way of communicating. If you would like that, you will have to request additional services from me. Otherwise, I am unable to really help in any other way. If it were me I would attach the ground to the metal band that holds down the "round thing" (capacitor) or strip it out as much as possible and leave it connected to nothing inside the light. As far as the blck and white wire i ask that you re read our conversation it should work if you follow my instructions above.

Another option for grounding is find a bolt on the base on the transformer (boxy thing inside the light case). Upon review this is recommended. You should find a bolt that is on the transformer. This is usually a bolt that is holding it to its case

Attach the green wire to this bolt. It will be holding the boxy transom error in place in the light there may be a few to pick from.

Transformer* (not transom error)

Friendly Reminder :) White coming in to white in the light. There should be 3 wires spliced together after you have connected the new white wire coming in. One off of the transformer and one off the light buld base. (there are already together, just add your new white wire :) Then, Your new Black wire will splice to the wire that says 120 coming off the Transformer. Cap the remaining 4 wires that come off of the transformer with small wire nuts. Attach your new green wire to the transformer base, wherever it is attached to the light case. Wrap the new green around the screw or bolt that holds down the transformer and tighten firmly.

However, The light should work without the ground there at all. If you have spliced the white and black wires as described above and the light does not work you may have a component failure.

if you would like to call me while you are making the splices i think that would be best :)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you tell by the pic. What I did wrong. It trips the breaker.

yes, wow, You need to cap each wire individually that is coming off of the transformer.

you know, those remaining 4 wires that were coming off your transformer. The ones that were left after you spliced the black onto the one that says 120. Leaving 4. Those need to be capped individually. Also. you need to ground your transformer. Find a piece of green # ***** wire and splice that onto your short green wire coming in. Its not even required by code. Just because the light works does not mean its not safer. But seriously. Take those four wires apart and hope you transformer works.

i didn't say splice them together either, I said cap them. Not splice or twist or anything like that take them apart and cap them individually and you may have a working light :)

refer to NEC 410.44 EX 1 for grounding requirements of your light.

At this point i am not sure we are communicating well. I would love to help you. I really would. But if I am unable to describe this appropriately over text to get it right, i cannot help you. That is unless you set up a call through just answer, and are ready to do the work. I will no longer be responding via text. please opt for additional service through just answer for a phone call. Please rate my service. Thanks Have a happy holiday!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok does this look better?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am still tripping the fuse.

I feel like i am being pranked :) call me, set up a call through just answer. You almost have it ;) you should use wire nuts on those four wires coming off of the transformer. It looks like you used an in line splice. make sure the four wires are individually capped and isolated from each other.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I appreciate your time. I used to be a electrical engineer. Been away from it too long. Let me see what I can do and I will get back to you. Thanks

lol, i had a feeling

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had the wires capped Can I bolt the wires together

No, no you may not. Just a small wire nut will do.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't remember much but I had wire nuts on before it tripped the beaker. I might not of had one tight enough but I will try again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here's my pic of the wire nuts

Were you able to individually cap the 4 wires coming off of the transformer? One wire nut on each of the remaining four wires coming off of the transformer is your goal.

one wire nut on each of the four remaining wires, make sure they are individually capped and isolated from eachother.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok Wayne here is a picture of what I have. I sent the wrong pic last time. Tell me what you think.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This pic.

Ohhh so close, you are really close. You need you get two more small wire nuts wire nuts and separate the two pairs of wires spliced together that come off of the transformer. You have the 120 feed and common wires correctly spliced. It's just those four remaining wires that come off of the transformer that you have to idividually cap and wire nut.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Alright here is the latest it still trips the breaker.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello

you are sending repeats of the same photos. If you are not going to take this seriously I am going to have to terminate out communication at this point. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am trying to take this siriusly. My apologies I have a brain injury. Please don't give up on me.

Request additional service, Make it a phone call. We will get it wired right. :) Hope you had a swell Christmas!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I found the coil has an open. I think it is the coil. Not the transformer. Small metal round piece. I will send you a picture of it but I need to know where I could buy one.

Hey buddy, we have been on this light a good while now. I would like to speak with you to get it done right. Accept the answer i have provided, and we can continue with this project over the phone.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wayne I think I know what is wrong. Not the transformer but the round metal electrical piece has no conductivity. If I have any problems I will be in touch. I greatly thank you for your time and I will rate you. Have a great day.

I appreciate that, if i don't get rated then the company i work for doesn't know i am doing my best to help. If you need help you know where to find me :)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wayne, I am close, I am sending you a picture. I need this part. I need to know what it is and any numbers I might need to order a new one. Can you tell me where to go online to get it..Thanks Wayne...OK I cant send you the picture for some reason. Would you email me back and then maybe the new window will allow me to send you the picture.

what kind and what wattage bulb are you using?

This info will help me help you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok Wayne, I don't see where this is marked. I don't know wher to place the black or yellow wire.