Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

This is a 2 part Question. Background: I moved into a house

Customer Question

This is a 2 part Question.
Background:
I moved into a house about 6 months ago. When we first moved in the outlet in the kitchen that had the microwave in it would always trip and go off if we had 2 things plugged there. Example toaster and Microwave, or any other small appliance. After about a month the outlet started making a loud clicking and humming noise. Maintenance came and replaced the outlet. The problem was corrected.
A few months later there was an outlet in a bedroom that had to have something plugged in it. If it did not the electric on the entire left side of the house would go out. It would come back on after flipping the fuse switch if you plugged something into that outlet. However if you did not plug something in then it would not come back on. Finally after about a month of that it went off and would not come back on. WE had an electrician come out and he said the outlet was lose. He tightened the outlet and reset the fuse box. It works fine now.
Now the problem is back downstairs. The electric outlets on one side of the kitchen and dining room now does not work. We have flipped the switch many times and it did not come back on. It use to come back on after flipping the switch.
My questions are: What is the cause of the last problem and are could they all be related and a much bigger problem than just a fuse?
We had plans to finish the basement and install 8 new electrical outlets in the 3 rooms that we planned to put there. If we are having this many problems now how will adding the additional outlets affect the house?
Side note: A few months ago my neighbor whose house is connected to mine had their outside porch light catch fire. The fire department came and actually knocked a hole in their wall when they put out the fire. I am not sure if this related or not.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Microwave ovens are always recommend to reside on their own dedicated 20 amp circuit and never shared with any other connected loads.

2) Noise that originates on a circuit or at a wall device indicates that arcing is taking place and this is due to a loose wire termination.

3) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to confirm voltage or lack of voltage at the dead receptacles?

4) Why is your neighbors home connected to your home?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

4. We live in a townhouse. There are 4 houses in a row. I am not sure if their electrical is connected.

3. No I dont have one.

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) In order to troubleshoot the problem, you will need an AC voltmeter. Perhaps you can borrow one from a neighbor or a friend? If not, you can purchase a good AC voltmeter for around $25 or so at any Home Depot or Lowe's.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Can you at least tell me what you think it is, so that when the electrician comes I kind of have an idea of what is going on?

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

1) Most likely either a loose hot or a loose neutral wire somewhere on the branch circuit. Voltage measurements taken at the dead receptacles can confirm this.

2) Or the problem can be a tripped GFCI receptacle. Double check all of the GFCI receptacles in the home and see if any have tripped.

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks…………..Kevin:)