Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Installing a Honeywell 40014
, Have a tri wire at power

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** - installing a Honeywell 40014
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Have a tri wire at power box. Cannot get connections right
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I will gladly pay the $20 IF I can get it working
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Hello sir, I am an electrician and and am happy to help you get this right. First off, My name is ***** ***** I am looking forward to having your problem fixed. Second, Anything you can provide in the way of information in descriptions pictures and informational manuals ect. would be most appreciated. Now, How can i help you today?

Hello, Im just checking to see if you ever got that Honeywell fan installed. Im here to ask whenever you need.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many house wires located in the ceiling box and the wire colors?

Any groups of wires that are spliced together? If so, what are the wire group colors?

2) How many house wires in the wall switch box and the wire colors?

3) What are the wire colors on the fan wiring harness? Black, Blue, White?

4) What are the 3 wire colors on the fan receiver? Also a black, blue and white?

5) Is the wall switch a new installation or was there a previously installed wall switch? If a previously installed wall switch, how many screws or wires on that switch? 2 brass and 1 green or 2 brass, 1 black and 1 green screw?

6) Do you have an AC voltmeter available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am working with a 4 switch box. I will number the switches 1- 4 from L to R.
Switch 1 – has a green wire to the bottom terminal which has been jumpered from switch 3. The top terminal has a black wire connected.
Switch 2 – has the green jumper but no wire from the black terminal.
I have no idea of what these 2 switches connect. I have checked outside lights and wall plates in the room where the box is located and elsewhere.
Switch 3 – controls overhead lights in the room. It has a black wire on top and bottom switch terminals and the green jumber.
Switch 4 – controls fan. Has the green wire exposed to the location. Also in the space is a tri-wire (black and red) All nutrals have been joined and wire nutted. All grounds are connected.
Fan/light has a tri-wire coming out of the ceiling (white, black and red)What do I hook to what on the Honeywell switch
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I apologize as I will not be able to assist you with your electrical question. I am currently stuck on an electrical construction project for the next few days. Rather than keep you waiting, I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board and another expert can assist you. No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up the question..........Thanks............Kevin:)

Hello sir, my name is ***** ***** i would love to help you with your fan switch.

Is there any way i can have a picture of the switch box you are talking about, it should show connections and wires inside the box.