Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Just moved in to a new house...has a block wall with lights

Customer Question

just moved in to a new house...has a block wall with lights every 20-30 feet. I turn the switch on and nothing happens, turn it on again maybe they light but very dim. Can get brighter sometimes. Do I have a ground problem?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) When lights dim, this typically indicates a loose neutral termination or a faulty neutral wire splice.

2) Any chance that you have an AC voltmeter available as the meter can confirm the problem?

3) Are you experiencing dimming on any other lighting circuits or just this one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No AC voltmeter available
No other lighting circuits have this issue....while saying that the back porch light flickers like a strobe light for the first few minutes and then it stays on as expected
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Perhaps you can borrow a meter from a neighbor or a friend? If not, you can purchase a good AC voltmeter at any local Home Depot or Lowe's for around $25.

2) When lights dim or flicker, those are typically 2 different type of problems. When lights dim, it is usually a loose neutral connection. When lights flicker, it is usually a loose hot wire connection. Thus the reason that an AC voltmeter is required to troubleshoot the problem and narrow down if the problem is a hot or a neutral or both. Without a voltmeter, it becomes a time consuming guessing game as to where the problem is located at:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Reply back to me when you obtain a meter and we can take it from there.........Thanks..........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)