Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have a 3 way switch, upstairs downstairs stairway light.

Customer Question

I have a 3 way switch, upstairs downstairs stairway light. Just turned it on and the light died as if the bulb burned out.The lighted switch is now not lit and there is about 26 volts at both up and down switches.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Only one of the 3-way switches will contain the hot circuit feed. A voltage measurement of 26 volts indicates a loose connection or a faulty splice on the circuit hot wire.

2) You will need to double check the hot circuit feed connections and/or splices. If the circuit has other known working lights and/or receptacles on it, the problem is in one of 2 places, either in the 3-way switch that contains the hot circuit feed or a live outlet ahead of that 3-way switch.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Kevin but we figured out the problem.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

OK, very good.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)