Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I believe we experienced a power surge last night. The TV

Customer Question

I believe we experienced a power surge last night. The TV made a popping sound and it started to smoke. Around the same time, our answering machine shut off and then came back on and my clock did the same. Also, ceiling lights began to dim. My son told me it was a power surge and I thought things would return to normal today. The TV is shot, but more importantly the lights are either not as bright as they normally are or they go back and forth from dim to bright.. My Christmas lights were very dim tonight and I had to shut them off.
Was this actually caused by a power surge or the TV dying last night????
What do I need to do to get things back to normal????? I need some advice ASAP
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Doubt that the problem was caused by a power surge. More than likely you have a loose neutral connection at your service connection or inside the meter can or inside the main electrical panel or a neutral issue at the utility transformer.

2) Dimming lights indicate a loose neutral connection. If a power surge occurred, the lights would only dim briefly for a few seconds and then would come back to normal. Power surges do not last for long time periods.

3) If some of your branch circuits were configured as a shared neutral circuit and a loose neutral connection, this would explain as to why some of the sensitive electronics have fried and caused damage. Thus, if a shared neutral circuit, the circuit actually became a 240 volt circuit and no longer a 120 volt circuit.

4) I recommend that you contact your local electrical utility and explain the problem to them. The utility needs to come to the home and confirm that the neutral service wire is properly torqued at the exterior meter and at their transformer. If the utility does not find a problem on their end, you need to contact a local licensed electrician and have them check the neutral connection inside the main disconnect switch or main electrical panel. If the service is overhead, you may also have a loose connection at the drip loop service drop on the bare service wire (neutral). A loose neutral at any of these areas can cause problems such as you are experiencing.

5) In the interim, I suggest to un-plug all 120 volt loads from all of the wall receptacles so as to not cause any further damage.

6) The problem will not just go away and disappear as it can get worse over time if neglected. Contact your local electrical utility this evening and tell them to dispatch a service technician to the home ASAP.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks...........Kevin:)