Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My electrics keep fusing not the overhead lights but the

Customer Question

My electrics keep fusing not the overhead lights but the sockets, I hear a noise from a socket even though nothing is plugged in what can be causing it
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 12 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 12 months ago.

If the sound you are hearing could be described as sounding like a "sizzle", it is most likely arcing.

Expert:  Jason replied 12 months ago.

Arcing happens when electrical current has to jump a gap. The gap is a loose connection.

Expert:  Jason replied 12 months ago.

The corrective action is to turn off power to the affected outlet(s) at the fuse panel, then remove the outlet from the box. Make sure you don't disconnect any wires, to avoid potential confusion that could arise when reconnecting wires.

Expert:  Jason replied 12 months ago.

Once you get the device out of the box, you can inspect all connections. There should be connections of wires to the device, and there may be wires spliced to each other toward the middle or rear of the box. Check these splices if you find any, to make sure no wires are loose.