Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Electrican 6+ years
91004775

It's MJ, our generator kicks on automatically when the power

Customer Question

Customer: HI it's MJ, our generator kicks on automatically when the power goes out and i just got a call from a neighbor telling me its still running now it's been running for a day or tow *two
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what?>
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: willing to wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 12 months ago.

You will need to take voltage measurements from your ATS (automatic transfer switch). This is where your utility power will be entering your home. If you can determine if utility power is on or off this will give you your next step. If utility power is not showing voltage your generator is working properly and you should call the power company. If you have utility power and the generator still runs then the issue lies with the generator, generac requires yearly maintenance for their product in the dorm of oil changes. This is usually the person or company that installed it. If you have utility power and your generator is still running contact your maintenance tecnician and he will be able to diagnose and fix the problem. Also, FYI generac programs their equipment to "exercise" weekly to keep fluids in the engine evenly spread. There may have been a programming issue with the exercise schedule. Did anyone use the LCD on your generator recently?

Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 11 months ago.

If you find this information helpful please take a moment to rate me :) i would very much appreciate it, this was a custom made answer just for you! Happy Holidays ->>