Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

What is the correct way to transition from direct burial

Customer Question

What is the correct way to transition from direct burial cable to an above grade box? I think conduit is required from the box to 18" below grade. Do I just run the direct burial wire in the conduit and not worry about sealing between the conduit and wire
where the wire enters the conduit below grade?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. With PVC conduit from the box to 18inch below grade you'll need to have an expansion coupling on the conduit. In the trench a 2 ft loop of wire is required for ground movement.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you point me to an "expansion coupling"?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What I'm looking at for "expansion coupling" looks like something used to join two pieces of conduit--that's not my situation. I just have direct burial wire in the trench now. I have box mounted on post. I can add conduit and whatever to get from the wire from the bottom of the trench up the post and into th box
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Any home center or electrical supply house will have them. All it is, is a slip fitting that allows the stub up movement preventing pulling the junction off its mounting.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see now. Expansion couple looks like a good idea, though it must not be required for code in our area, since I don't see one used for the service entry to our house or out building. Say I used one, then should I worry about sealing between the conduit and wire where the wire enters the conduit below grade?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Sealing isn't required. Your other installations may have been done before expansion coupling were required.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, off to get the expansion coupling. Is 3/4" conduit ok for the 4 wire, #10 wire, direct burial cable?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Yes.