Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

, My question is I have existing service that loops

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My question is I have existing service that loops back up from the Bottom of the Meter to my House. I want to install a 200 amp Main disconnect to the Bottom of the existing connection Do I need to use Copper wire for the New disconnect box and will this work with the existing Aluminum service wire?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: For the correct answer? yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) You can use copper or aluminum conductors. If using aluminum conductors, the lugs of the disco over current protection device must be rated for Aluminum conductors. The disconnect must either be fusible or a main breaker type.

2) A 200 amp service requires either 2/0 AWG Copper or 4/0 AWG Aluminum

3) If using Aluminum conductors, you need to apply an anti-oxidant paste called "Noalox" on the lug terminations.

4) An exterior disconnect device must also be rated as a NEMA 3R type for wet conditions.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)