Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a xantrex inverter charger on my boat. When it is

Customer Question

I have a xantrex inverter charger on my boat. When it is off, and I plug in dockside power, the breaker on the dockside power trips.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What is the voltage at the dockside receptacle? 120 volts or 240 volts?

2) Can you plug a different load into the dock receptacle and see if the trouble follows or goes away?

3) I assume that the dockside receptacle is GFCI protected, correct?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
120V
did different receptacle and no different
GFCI protected
If undo wire from xantrex, dockside power does not trip
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

Sorry, but I'm not understanding your reply?

1) If you plug a different load (not the charger) into the receptacle such as a radio or a light, does the GFCI still trip?

2) If the receptacle is a GFCI type, can you temporarily disconnect the LOAD side wires from it and see if the GFCI will "test" and "reset" properly under a "no load" condition"?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
GFCI working fine
GFCI does not trip with different load
the problem is in the xantrex. Do you have familiarity with the xantrex? If not, you will not be able to help me
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

OK, the problem is obviously within the XANTREX unit.

Doubt that you will be able to troubleshoot an internal problem on the charger as those typically do not have any user serviceable parts. I suggest to contact XANTREX tech support. Sounds like an internal ground fault issue on the charger?

I will opt out of the question and perhaps another expert here is familiar with the XANTREX model and can assist you. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified when another expert picks up the question.

Thanks:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

1) One last thought. If the GFCI is an older version, those types were prone to nuisance tripping. The newer GFCI's are much better. You can try swapping out the GFCI with a modern version and see if the problem goes away. Just a thought:)

I will opt out.........Thanks:)

Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 11 months ago.

Hello sir, This is a common issue. Boats power systems typically surpass the 5ma (milliamp) threshold to neutral that trips the GFCI breakers. This can be done by reverse polarity indicator lights, or really anything electrical on your boat. It seems you narrowed it down to the inverter right? Well this could be the case but id like to know a few things. What amperage GFCI plug are you connecting to? If the inverter is 3000w / 120v that is 25 amps right there. There may be nothing wrong with your boat at all...a lot of people have had successes on a 30 amp non GFCI connection. This is somewhat dangerous, the GFCI detects just below the threshold of what it takes to fibrillate the human heart. If this is passed it trips. But that is worst case scenario. Id atleast try to find a 30 amp GFCI plug somewhere and try it again.