Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have a xantrex 6048 that is operating off grid with a

Customer Question

I have a xantrex 6048 that is operating off grid with a string of 8 trojan L16 390aph batteries at 48v and am looking to upgrade in capacity. It so happens that I have a chance to purchase 12 - used enersys 2v / 3700aph batteries at a VERY good price but would require operating at 24v. What are the pros and cons?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The connection of the batteries having 2 of the 24V in series will give you 48V. Make them up in pairs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike,
Thank you, ***** ***** didn't answer my question...why don't you read it again,.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Misread it, thought they were 24 V. As far as operating at 24V I'm going to opt out and let another expert with solar experience take over. Please stand by.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The XANTREX model 6048 requires a DC battery operating voltage from 44VDC to 64 VDC. Ideally, this inverter requires 48 volt DC batteries or a combination of battery strings to provide the 48 volts. The inverter will not work using 24 volt batteries unless two of them are wired in series. A quantity of twelve 2 volt batteries is not enough as you need another 12 batteries.

2) Using 2 volt batteries would require a quantity of (24) twenty four 2 volt batteries wired in series to comprise the 48 volt DC battery output. 2 x 24 = 48 volts.

3) Since the required voltage is 48 volts, I recommend to either install (4) four 12 VDC batteries in series or (2) two 24 volt batteries in series or (1) one 48 volt battery. I recommend installing either (1) one 48 volt battery or (2) two 24 volt batteries if you want to add to the existing battery strings.

4) I do not recommend using the 2 volt batteries as those are too many batteries to wire in a series string as well as future battery maintenance. 24 batteries will also take up much more real estate room.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)