Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

How to wire a bathroom ceiling fan and light each with a

Customer Question

How to wire a bathroom ceiling fan and light each with a swith. I am replacing the current fan and the house wires are red white and black
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Does the wall box contain 2 separate light switches and you want 1 switch to control the fan and the 2nd switch to control the fan light?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am just replacing the fan. But am confused. When I unhooked the old fan the wire colors are red, black and white. I have only encountered white black and copper( the ground)
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
But yes 2 switches one for light one for fan
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Please confirm, the 3 house wires at the fan box connection are black, red and white, correct?

2) If the house wire colors are correct, turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and temporarily back out each wall switch from the box, but DO NOT disconnect any wires.

How many wires and the wire colors terminating to each switch?

3) What are the wire colors on the fan? Black, red and a white?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is the black wire at the fan box the ground
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
At the switch red black white
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

No, a ground wire will either be a green or a bare copper or a yellow/green tracer wire.

Please answer my questions below as this determines how the fan needs to be conencted?

3) What are the wire colors on the fan? Black, red and a white or 2 blacks and 1 white?

Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

1) Is the wall switch a combo switch or 2 separately installed switches?

2) Can you take a picture of the switch or switches backed out from the wall box so I can see what you have in place?

Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

1) What type of switch or switches are installed?

A combo switch in the link below?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Combination-Double-Switch-White-R62-05224-2WS/202027008

2) Or do you have 2 separate switches like the one shown in the link below?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/15-Amp-Single-Pole-Toggle-Switch-White/100026991