Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

My name is ***** ***** I have an issue with my ceiling fan

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have an issue with my ceiling fan light
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. I have a ceiling fan with a light fixture. LIght fixture is on a wall switch, fan is not. The other day, I flipped the wall switch to turn on the light, and the 2 bulbs did not go on in the light - heard a pop. I bought a new light fixture, wired it correctly, but still, light fixture is not working. I have a voltage tester. Power is going to the wall switch fine and going down the black wire from the fan to the light fixture
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What type of voltage tester are you using? A non-contact tester or a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (contact type) or an AC voltmeter?

2) How many house wires and the wire colors at the ceiling box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. The voltage tester looks like a pen that lights up when you touch a wire if there is power.2. Coming from the fan to the light fixture, there are 2 wires - blue and white. I hooked up the new light fixture (blue to black and white to white). I touched the blue/black wire with the voltage tester and it turned red.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Your tester is a non-contact tester and those testers are useless in this application. You need a contact type of tester (a 2 wire lead or better yet, an AC voltmeter) to confirm voltage leaving the switch and getting to the ceiling box on the switched loop conductor. Perhaps you can borrow a meter from a neighbor or a friend? If not, you can purchase a good AC voltmeter at any Home Depot or Lowe's for $25 or less.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

No problem, just come back here to this same question and we can take it from there..........Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)