Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a cabin and no power lines within miles of the place.

Customer Question

I have a cabin and no power lines within miles of the place. I have a generator( Ac4000GD2e) with a 120/240 60 hz 15amp outlet...L14-15 and want to run 2 120 volt circuits off this outlet. When I plug a generator power cord into the generator, then into a 4 prong male power box, how do I split off the 4 prong plug to get120 per side? Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. If your generator is 120/240V it should have a 240V 4 wire outlet. What make and model is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an arctic cat AC4000GD2E with Suzuki engine ...older but runs quietly and low fyel use.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do plan to purchase a new generator with more power....got a recommendation,?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Any 5000 watt or larger will be adequate. I like one with a battery and electric start. Makes getting operational much easier. Depending on your load the selection would be made. Bigger the better.

As far as the connections at the cabin, the wire size and power input need to match what ever you have for a gen set.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 8 gauge wire running through schedule 80 conduit cabin to cabin( 3 wire s s black a green a white) each cabin has its own inside power panel box with space for , 4 breakers. I am wiring outlets and ceiling lights with 12-2 wire ,( black white and bare ground) as we speak. I read that 8 ga can carry 40 amps, 12 ga. can carry 20 amps so i have 20 amp breakers. The max distance from the generator location to any cabin is 90 feet. Off of the 120/240 generator outlet, I do not want to use anything requiring 240 volts do how do I wire the outside power inlet box to only be feeding 120 volts to the other cabin power panels! Thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Your power inlets should be 240V and needs to be fed with 4 wire. At the first panel you would have 2 phases that if you only want 120V at other locations, you would use a 20 A breaker for the circuit. They don't make a 20A 120V power inlet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Offer sent, waiting for acceptance.