Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Brand new disposal isn't working. Plumber says it's gotta be

Customer Question

Brand new disposal isn't working. Plumber says it's gotta be the toggle switch. When I put a voltage tester to the wire, it lights up when I flip the switch and goes off when I flip it back. So, how could it be the switch? I had him replace the old disposal because I thought it died but now it seems it's something electrical. Would the wire still read live if the switch isn't working correctly? Is there a chance it's something else. There's also a receptacle in the same junction box and it works fine.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What type of tester are you using? A non-contact tester or a tester with 2 wire leads?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a non contact tester
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) You need a contact tester with 2 wire leads or an AC voltmeter whenever troubleshooting an electrical problem. The non-contact testers have their limitations and are pretty much useless on most electrical troubleshooting projects:)

A non-contact tester can be easily triggered from another nearby hot wire inside the wall box and can provide a false indication on the switch.

Perhaps you can borrow a 2 wire lead tester from a neighbor or a friend? Inexpensive 2 wire lead testers can be purchased at any Home Depot or Lowe's for around $6. A good AC voltmeter can also be purchased for $25 or less.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Come back here when you have a 2 wire lead tester or an AC volt meter and I can easily walk you thru checking the switch.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)