Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

While using an outlet in garage I smelled hot plastic.

Customer Question

While using an outlet in garage I smelled hot plastic. Turned off breaker, removed plate to outside light switch & 1st outlet. Outlet was burnt on hot side (tab was gone, burnt or removed?). Of course I did not pay attention to wire connections! I have 3 wire from source, red is not hot. Also, have 2 wire going on to power multiple outlets. I do not know about the red wire connection, and the tab of the adjoining outlet. (20 amp). Your help would be appreciated.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Can you provide me with a picture of the wall box with the devices backed out from the box so I can view what you have in place. Don't disconnect any wires from the devices as I also need to see those.

2) How many amps is the breaker and what is the wire size that was installed? 15 or 20 amps? 14 or 12 AWG copper wires?

3) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to take some voltage measurements?

Thanks..............Kevin:)