Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I was wondering how do i add power to an outside shed from

Customer Question

hello i was wondering how do i add power to an outside shed from my breaker box?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What is the approximate distance from the panel to the shed?

2) How many circuits do you need at the shed? 1 or 2 or more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 4 outlets and a light switch to control lights, and about 10-15 ft
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) I recommend to install a 20 amp circuit breaker in your main electrical panel and install a quantity of (4) four 12 AWG Copper wires with all 4 wires being type "THWN" insulated for wet conditions. Install (1) one black and (1) one red for the two hot conductors, (1) one white for the neutral and (1) one green for the equipment ground.

Cap off the red wire inside the main panel and at a junction box inside the shed as it will be for future use. The red wire can be used at a future date in the event you ever need a 2nd circuit either at the shed or at some other nearby location.

2) I suggest to install gray electrical PVC conduit, Schedule 40 as you only want to dig or trench the run one time. Minimal conduit diameter is 1/2" but increasing it to 3/4" diameter will make the wire pull much easier.

The conduit run needs to be buried a minimum of 18" (eighteen inches) below final grade.

Place a warning ribbon tape approximately 6" (six inches) below grade above the entire conduit run to provide a warning that if any future digging in the area will occur, that there is an electrical line buried below.

3) All receptacles both inside and outside of the shed need to be GFCI protected. Exterior receptacles require an "in-use" bubble cover.

4) On the inside of the shed, also install 12 AWG copper conductors for all of the receptacle and switch outlets. If installing NM Romex cable inside the shed, the Romex cable needs to be protected from any possible damage. Suggest installing 1/2" EMT conduit inside the shed on the vertical runs and place the Romex cable into the EMT conduit to protect it from being damaged by tools, lawn mowers, etc.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also is adding a 140 outlet and a 320 an option?
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

Not sure what you mean by that? There is no such thing as a 140 outlet or 320.

Electrical receptacles are either 120 volts or 240 volts:)

Please provide details.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry I was thinking amps. But yes 120 and 240
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Here's my box
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Just out of curiosity, are you located in the United States? I've never seen a panel with color coded circuit breakers like you have? I've installed some Westinghouse panels over the years, but have never seen that model before.

2) If requiring both 120 and 240 volts at the shed, you will require a sub-panel installed in the shed.

3) I would need to know the load amps in order to calculate the voltage drop and the sub-panel feeder circuit conductor sizes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm in Minnesota it's a mobile home. And 340 amps and 120 amps.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

1) The main breaker in the panel is 340 or 120 amps?

Doubt that, most likely 100 amps? Please confirm?

2) The feeder circuit for a 120/240 volt sub-panel needs to be calculated for the correct amperage. The estimated amps at the sub-panel circuits will be the determining factor as to the feeder circuit size.