Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have 2gfi breakers in panel box 1 plugs 1 pluags. whean

Customer Question

i have 2gfi breakers in panel box 1 for bath plugs 1 for garage pluags. whean garage light is turned on it trips both gfis.this problem just started.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Are the GFCI breakers both a single pole type or a double pole GFCI with a common trip handle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 seperate breakers
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the confirmation.

1) Turn OFF the bathroom GFCI. Does the garage GFCI still trip when turning ON the garage light?

2) Is the home wired using NM Romex cables or conduit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still trips after turning off bath gfi. i do not know how the house is wired.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Look at the inside of the panel (remove panel door), if wired in Romex you will see white or yellow cable sheaths. Trace the 2 hot conductors from the 2 breakers and tell me if they go to a common cable sheath or into a common conduit? If a common cable sheath, locate the white neutral conductor and confirm if it also originates into the same Romex cable sheath.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 seperate cables
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) Are the GFCI breakers installed in a main panel or in a sub-panel?

2) Temporarily disconnect the hot conductor at the GFCI bathroom breaker. Does the garage light breaker still trip?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
breakers are in main panel yes breaker still trips.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks.

1) Was there any recent electrical work performed such as replacing receptacles or light switches or lighting fixtures?

2) Double check the neutral terminations for the 2 neutral wires at the main neutral bus bar. Make sure these are tight and securely fastened on the neutral bus bar.

3) Any other lights in the home either dimming or flickering?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no recent work done. connections tight no otherlights dimming or flickering
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

OK, Thanks for the replies.

I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board to allow other experts to chime in. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up the question.........Thanks.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. For 2 breakers to interact with each other there has to be a common point. I suggest checking the white leads from each breaker to the neutral bar. They should be terminated individually. Check to see if they are and correct if necessary. If in a common termination that is loose, they would affect each other.