Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a chandelier that uses 13 x 60w edison filament bulbs

Customer Question

Hi, I have a chandelier that uses 13 x 60w edison filament bulbs (780w) I tried to use a 1000w dimer switch but it blew....not to sure why and what is my next step on finding a dimmer switch suitable for my light ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many switches installed in the wall switch box? One switch or more?

2) Does the dimmer switch removable side fins on each side of the dimmer? If so, did you remove any of the side fins?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only one switch and did not remove anything from the dimmer
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Since only (1) one dimmer switch installed in the wall box and none of the side fins were removed, the switch is not derated and should be good for the maximum of 1000 watts.

I am not sure why the dimmer switch is defective since the total wattage load of 780 watts is less than the dimmer switch rating. Possibly an out-of-box failure?

I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified when another expert picks up the question. Thanks:)

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I tend to agree with the previous expert in that you may have had a bad dimmer. 780 watts of incandescent load is easily handled by a 1000w dimmer.

How long did it last?