ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have a switch wired to lights that works properly but the

Customer Question

I have a switch wired to lights that works properly but the common wires must be joined elsware as there is no common wire in the box. How can I add another switch to operate another light with the black and white wire coming into the same box from the new light but no common to use to complete the circuit. there is a bare ground in the box, can that be used to complete the common to the panel ????
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

If I understand your question, you have an existing light switched from a single location and you would like to add a switch at an additional location, is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the new light is wired back to this box and the sheet rock has been finished
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

To add an additional switch you will need to run 12/3G NM Cable (or 14/3G NM If existing switch is wired with #14) from the existing switch to the location of the new switch. If there is attic access, you should be able to fish the wire down on both ends. If you can get to this point we can discuss the wiring of the switches. Thank you

Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

The ground wire cannot be used as a current carrying conductor.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you understood my reply and to see if you have any questions. Please let me know if you do and I would appreciate the courtesy of a reply thank you very much.