AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

When I turn off my lamp (indecent) bulb with my wall switch

Customer Question

when I turn off my lamp (indecent) bulb with my wall switch the bulb still glows until turn back on
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Have you tried plugging the lamp into another wall receptacle?

Does the problem go away or follow onto another known working receptacle?

2) Does the lamp have a built-in pull chain or a rotary switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have moved it problem goes away--no pullchain
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) I recommend to replace the wall switch then. The switch is defective and causing the circuit not to completely power OFF.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK removed switch. Hocked the two black wires works fine. Took them apart bulb glows. ?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Please confirm, you temporarily removed the wall switch and by-passed it by splicing the hot and switched loop wires together and the bulb is no longer glowing?

2) What type of wall switch? A regular ON/OFF snap switch or a dimmer switch?

3) The light bulb is incandescent and not an LED or CFL type?

4) Have you tried using a different light bulb?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Regular single pole toggle switch. What started all this is we plugged in some twinkle lights decorations I think it was like a 100 bulb set and my wife noticed that when we turn the switch off at the end of the evening the tree was still very dimly lit that's when I decided to plug a table lamp into this particular outlet now the outlet not less than six feet away from it works fine plug it in turn it on turn it off and it goes off completely. The lamp as a regular incandescent bulb at 6000 watts I believe I don't know what the drawing is on the twinkle lights.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) So does the problem occur both on a plug-in table lamp as well as the XMAS tree lights?

2) Can you plug the XMAS tree lights into another wall receptacle using a long extension cord to confirm if the tree lights still dim?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's exactly the way the Christmas lights are hooked up now because she didn't want them gloving all night and burn out of bulbs I don't understand what's going on
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Are the XMAS light strings LED type?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for the replies.

1) Since all of the bulbs are of the incandescent type, I am not sure why they still glow after the switch is in the OFF position. I've seen this problem on fluorescent and LED bulbs due to leakage current causing them to slightly glow after the switch is turned OFF or if an incompatible dimmer switch was used. But I've never come across this when using incandescent type of bulbs.

2) Electrically speaking, the only possibility that I can think of that is causing the bulbs to remain glowing after the switch is powered OFF is either a faulty switch or there is a presence of inductance (electromagnetism) from a nearby hot wire or a shared neutral wire within the same wall box that is causing some type of leakage current.

I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board and perhaps another expert can chime in on the situation. No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up the question.

Thanks and have a good day............Kevin:)

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Need ALL of the questions below answered.

Please identify everything on the same circuit breaker as this wall switch and post results of findings.

1. Next, do you have a 2 lead voltage tester or can get one?

2. How many wall receptacles are controlled by the wall switch?

3. Top half? Bottom half? Or entire receptacle?

4. The lamp still glows when the Xmas lights are UNPLUGGED?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1/ye . None controled by x-10 remote control. 3/top half. 4/ Both glow plunged in remotely turned off.

Ok, thanks.

I am assuming the #1 is a Yes? It wasnt complete with the spelling.

If so, please first REMOVE the receptacle from the wall box but keep it wired.

The use the tester to the side screws on the receptacle.

use the voltage tester and put one lead on the right side and one lead on the left side at the receptacle and see what you read with the switch OFF.

Post the voltage read.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Tommorow

Ok, thanks.

See the diagram below for testing receptacles.

With yours, the top screws will be different than the bottom, since the bottom is hot all the time and the top half switched.