Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I received a whirlpool dryer as a gift. I followed the mfg.

Customer Question

I received a whirlpool dryer as a gift. I followed the mfg. instructions as to how to hook up a 3 wire hard wired installation. The dryer will not start could you please help me
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** Iwill be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a NEMA rated 10-30R wall receptacle installed?

2) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to confirm the voltages at the dryer wall receptacle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not have awall receptcal thisnuni is hard wired 3 wire connection 10 gauge.i do not hace a volt meter available and what should i read at th panel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT VOLTAGE SHOULD I BE READING AT THE DRYER? THIS IS A NEW DRYER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI KEVIN DID YOU MY ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

At the wall receptacle (NEMA 10-30R), you need to measure 240 volts across both of the angled slots on the receptacle and 120 volts from each angled slot to the "L" shaped receptacle slot.

You need a wall receptacle (a NEMA 10-30R) to act as the "means-of-disconnect". Dryers are never hard-wired, they are always cord & plug connected from the dryer to a wall receptacle.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)