Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Craig, I am replacing a ceiling fan in my bedroom first

Customer Question

Hi Craig,
I am replacing a ceiling fan in my bedroom for the first time. There is no ground wire for the fan. There are several black and white wires though. Is that normal?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Depending on the wiring method used and or the age of the house wiring, there may not be a ground visable or even there. On a metal box, just attach the ground from the fan to the box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are black and white wires coming from the outlet. The house was built in the 1950s. My concern is there are three black wires coming from the ceiling and four white wires. Thee of these white wires are grouped together and tied off. There is one loose from where the previous fan was. Is it normal to have multiple black and white wires like this? And do I attach the new fan to ALL of the wires? I just put a cap on the grounded wire in the fan. Is that correct?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Having circuit connection on multiple wires is normal. Attach the ground to the box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ground to what box? Not sure what box you are referring to. As far as the black/blue lines, those can be connected to all the black lines currently from the ceiling? And same with the white ones? Connect all white wires together or just the single hanging one?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

From your description I would use the single white wire as a hot from the switch to the black and blue fan wires. The white fan wire connects with the group of white wires. You should have a metal box in the ceiling where the connections are and for support of the fan. By rights it should be a fan support box by code. If there isn't a ground visable, metal boxes are grounded. Attach the ground to the box.