Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

First time on this site. Does it cost to ask a question?

Customer Question

Hi Mike. First time on this site. Does it cost to ask a question?
Here is what happened. My husband strung the christmas lights outside. They were working for 3 nights. Then it rained a lot today and now they do not work.
We reset the bathroom GFCI and it goes to green and then turns off.
How can we fix this problem so we can enjoy our Christmas lights?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Yes you selected a dollar amount to work the question. As far as you problem with the lights, no doubt the rain caused a fault to ground probably at the plugs on the strings. The outlet it's plugged into should have a in-use cover preventing rain from getting to the connection. If the strings are connected one to the other, I suggest a plastic bag with tape on each with the point elevated to prevent the connection from getting wet. There isn't much to do until it drys out.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

If you still need a phone service let me know. I've given all info that you need already.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike G. It is all of the lights to all of our outside outlets (4 outside outlets both front and back of the house). Please call me at(###) ###-####Thank you,
Jodi
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Phone session complete. Customer advised to remove string one at a time while resetting the GFCI to isolate where the fault is.