Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I want to wire 240 volt construction heater to a stove

Customer Question

I want to wire 240 volt construction heater to a stove outlet with direct connections The heater has 3 wires Black white green and the stove outlet has Black red white and copper . How do I connect properly
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many watts or amps is the heater?

2) How many amps is the existing double pole circuit breaker for the stove?

3) What size (AWG) are the conductors at the stove outlet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) 4800 watts/ 20 amps
2) 40 amp breaker
3) 8 awg
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) The heater will require a 30 amp double pole circuit breaker. Swap out the existing 40 amp breaker and replace with a 30 amp double pole.

2) At the 30 amp breaker, terminate the branch circuit red and black conductors to the 2 screws on the 30 amp breaker........ie......1 hot for each leg.

3) At the electrical panel, disconnect the white neutral branch circuit conductor from the neutral bus bar as it will not be needed. Place a plastic wire nut on the unused white neutral.

4) The bare copper ground from the branch circuit will land on either the panel main neutral bus bar or onto a separate equipment ground bar.

5) Connect the heater black to the branch circuit black. Connect the heater white to the branch circuit red. Place some black electrical tape on the heater white to re-identify it as a hot conductor.

Connect the heater green ground to the branch circuit bare copper ground.

The white neutral from the branch circuit will not be used. Place a plastic wire nut on the white neutral. The 8 AWG copper conductors are OK, therefore re-use these conductors.

6) If the heater does not contain a unit disconnect switch, you will require a 30 amp double pole ON/OFF switch at the heater area.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)