Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I've seen lots of answers on this, but I need a bit of

Customer Question

Hi there. I've seen lots of answers on this, but I need a bit of reassurance before continuing:
I have a ceiling light connected to a single switch. It's identical to the light it replaces, but now stays on all the time.
There are two Earths, only one of which is connected to the light.
And then there's two blue neutrals, connected together to a single wire to the light.
Finally a red and black live pair, connected together to a single wire to the light.
It appears from previous answers that I need to disconnect either the red or black, and block it off. Is this correct?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are correct, in that removing the black or the red should be your first step in trying to get the switch working properly again.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I would try capping the red by itself first. If that doesn't work, reconnect it to the light, and cap the black by itself.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know how it works out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that. Firstly though a correction: It's brown wire, not black.
By disconnecting a wire st a time I either get permanent on or permanent off. Also, the wall lights (on a second switch but obviously linked) stay off. It looks like it's somewhere else!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

OK. Can you pull the wall switch out of the box, leaving all wires connected, and post a photo here, showing all wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Back now though.Her's the photo. The ceiling switch is on the left in the picture:
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for posting the photo. If you take the yellow wire off of the switch in question (with the switch turned off), does the light go out (when it is constantly on and the switch doesn't seem to control it)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you've arrived at the answer just as a neighbour, with a circuit tester, came to the same conclusion. The yellow wire is in fact a live feed. A simple adjustment fixed it. Thanks anyway for your help.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. I appreciate the opportunity to help. Please consider rating my service before logging off. Have a blessed day.