machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician
Experience:  AC/DCElectricity / Relay and apparatus/circuit reading/ 30 yrs Bell South
75209918

My boat secured on a transport lorry t and cut a street

Customer Question

my boat secured on a transport lorry hit and cut a street power line. The line parted about 3m away from the boat. I wanted to know; would any electricity affect the boat electrical system. everything was turned off or isolated (24vdc) before transport. Everything seems ok, but do I need to check anything else
Many thanks in advance
Category: Electrical
Expert:  machinc replied 1 year ago.

Unless you cut the power wire with your antenna you should be fine. The antenna itself is designed to handle power surges ( usually lightning ) and should be safe to use any radios associated with it. Check the antenna itself for physical damage and replace if needed.

Any spot lights or running lights that came in contact with the wire should also be inspected for damage.

If only the hull or superstructure were involved there should be no problem.

All of your electrical circuits on a boat are "protected" so if any are not working check for blown fuses or flipped breakers. If any of the lights dont work after the breakers have been checked look for loose bulbs.

More likely upu probably no electrical damage.

Expert:  machinc replied 1 year ago.

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.