Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

We have flickering lights and the power goes out to part of

Customer Question

We have flickering lights and the power goes out to part of the house. No breakers trip when this happens. One day when we were trying to find out which lights, appliances and outlets were affected when the power went out, we pressed the dryer button to turn on the dryer to see if it was affected, and when the dryer came on, the power came back on to the affected areas. Now if the power goes off to some of the house with the flickering lights, we turn on the dryer to get the power to come back on. The house is a 1 year old manufactured home, built new for us and the 200 amp service is an aluminum service wire connecting to the outside load center. This flickering started happening a couple of months ago and it seems to be getting more frequent. We are completely perplexed. We have replaced the breakers outside in the load center 2 months ago and no breakers appear to be loose in the house. What is confusing is that certain things on each side of the breaker box are affected, but not all of the house is affected. Can you offer me some advice on what to try?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Flickering lights are an indication of a loose wire connection or termination.

2) How many circuits are affected by the flickering? Just 1 or 2 circuits or more than 50% of the house?