Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have an existing outlet that I want to move. I am moving

Customer Question

I have an existing outlet that I want to move.
I am moving it on the same wall.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What is your question or concerns in relocating the receptacle?

2) What is the existing wiring scheme? Romex cable or metal conduit or another type of cable?

Please provide details...............Thanks............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is romex cable.
I have an existing outlet that has two white wires on one side and two black wires on the other.
I want to move the existing outlet to another location on the same wall.I have already have fished a line through the wall and my new location is ready.
I was wondering if there was a wiring diagram available?
Once the new outlet is relocated, I will just put a solid wall plate where the old location was.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible to daisy chain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess a diagram that shows moving the outlet in the middle of a circuit?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) If you don't have a sufficient amount of cable slack in the wall, you will either need to install a junction box or a Tyco wall splice in order to extend the Roemx cables. Per electrical code, all junction boxes must be accessible. The only only other approved method of splicing is to use a Tyco Romex cable slice kit. Wall splices are not allowed to be buried inside a wall unless a junction box or a Tyco splice kit is used on Romex cables.

Refer to link shown below for the Tyco Romex splice kit:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-CPGI-1116377-2/202204326

2) Yes, receptacles can be daisy chained in a parallel fashion. See attached diagram shown below for an example:

3) The extended wire size needs to be the same size as you already have...ie....... 14 AWG copper for a 15 amp breaker or 12 AWG copper for a 20 amp breaker.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)