Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My outside electrical outlet on my patio is reading 220

Customer Question

my outside electrical outlet on my patio is reading 220 volts when it is a 110 volt oulet
what is wrong
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

Can you check voltage from each side of the outlet to ground? (Black to ground then white to ground ) Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
White leg is showing 183v black is showing 300 v
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iam getting 300 v on black leg and 183 v on white leg
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

I would check the voltage at the panel to verify that it is ok. Sounds like there is a problem there that could be internal or from the utility. Please let me know what you find. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked all breaker to ground in the panel box ,on 20 amp breaker i an getting 110 volts
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks, this would indicate that there is most likely a multiwire circuit feeding the outside outlet and that there is a loose connection hopefully I a junction box. This can be difficult to locate. Look for junction boxes in the attic/crawl space and when found check all of the connections. This connection could also be in an outlet box inside. Each upstream device (all devices on this circuit between the outlet in question & the panel) will need to be removed. You are looking for a three wire circuit, red, black, white (it should also have a ground). You may see a 3-wire circuit leaving the panel. This is not to be confused with the dryer circuit but is or should be number 10 wire as opposed to 14 or 12 on the branch circuit in question. Let me know what you find or if you have any questions along the way thank you

Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in, have a you had any luck?