AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I just replaced a timer with a brand new Tork 120v single

Customer Question

I just replaced a timer with a brand new Tork 120v single pole timer which was purchased from Lowes. There are 4 contacts. The first was not used. The second was for the red (hot) wire. The third used for the white (neutral) wire. And the fourth for the black wire. The lights go on and off manually with the switches, but the timer clock itself is not working. Any ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Please provide the exact model so the specs can be obtained and we can continue further,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tork 40-Amp Mechanical Hardwired Lighting Timer Model #1101.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Originally I had the black wire connected to the first pole (like the previous timer), but the lights just stayed on no matter what was done with the switch. Changing the black wire to the fourth pole activated the switching mechanism, but not the actual timer (the whole reason we replaced the timer).

Ok, thanks.

IF you have 120 volts between the black and white wires, you would connect black to #L and white to X

Then connect light red wire to #2

Leave the bridge jumper in place between the L and #1

If you have 120 volts power on the red and white instead, swap the black and red wire connections form the above, red on L and black on 2

If you were originally set for 240 volts, this timer will not work

Let me know any questions and keep me posted on results and we can continue as needed, but it should be what you need based on the information posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, this solution did not work. I will return the timer to Lowe's to determine if it is defective and get a new one. The power is 120V, so this model timer should work.

The above information is the correct wiring for the timer.

If the light is coming on and the timer is just not rotating, I suggest to check your neutral connection and the factory Jumper as described.

It would be extremely rare to have a timer of this type not work out the box new.

Never had a bad one in 43 years, they are well designed and built.

It is possible but if the new one on exchange does the same thing, the neutral is what to check, get a voltage meter and test for power between the white and black for 120 volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will not be able to test the neutral until Wednesday afternoon as I am away until then. Once this is tested I will let you know the result and will not "Rate the service" until we exhaust the options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The voltage between the black and the neutral is 120v, so I must assume the meter is bad. I will exchange it and let you know.