AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a blodgett double stack oven that is a 3 phase 480

Customer Question

HI i have a blodgett double stack oven that is a 3 phase 480 volt unit. I only have the ability to plug in a 3 phase 220 volt. Is there any way I can make this work?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

What is the actual Model number of the oven?

Some are convertible in the field and need to check all the specifications.

If not, do you know what size circuit the 240 volts is? it takes double the 240 to add a transformer to change to 480.

let me know and we can continue,

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model number of the oven is EF-111.
Just to clarify, the oven is currenty 480 VOLTS. I need to convert it so that it can plug into a 220 volt circuit.
attached to this response is the build tag for the oven if this helps.
-dom

Ok, thanks.

Looking at the specifications and the parts listing for the oven and the many voltages that they manufactured them in, they are not normally convertible.

In order to attempt to change one over, you would have to got through the oven and change many, many parts over and do some rewiring to add to the situation.

None of the major components are dual voltage, so heating elements, motors, transformers, contactors, timers etc, would have ot be purchased and rewired to make them over for the new voltage.

I would think it is a very expensive attempt and still may be a single part or many that may not be available and after doing that purchasing, you may not be able to complete.

Is that what you wish to do?

A simple transformer would cost 5 times less most likely and be an easy installation and the preferred way to go.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that if i installed a transformer of some kind, i would then be able to use it?

Yes, that is correct.

You would install a 3 phase 240 volt to 480 volt transformer and then you could hard wire to the oven as it is designed to be connected.

CLICK HERE to see one I just grabbed for an example

Personally, I would go to the secondary market for a used one at a steep discount. There are many used equipment companies out there to choose from and maybe one local to your location.

Used is just as good as new in transformers, especially the older all copper ones.