Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
23932409

Trying to install a low water cutoff on a gas boiler. The

Customer Question

Trying to install a low water cutoff on a gas boiler. The new one I purchased is a MM
and it is replacing a safgard 550. The MM has yellow wires that are supposed to connect to the boiler panel but the wire from the panel are black and white. What should I do?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel,you can use the paper clip-icon at the right end of the toolbar at the top of this dialog box

If there is no paper clip-icon, look for the '+attach files' link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here you go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one is a diagram I found online and the other is off the device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I have to come and go to do research and juggle several questions at a time.. right now I need the model number of the "MM" low water cut off control.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

oops I see the MM is mc***** ***** RB 122

It will take me a while to look both of them up and sort out the wiring.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

I am going to make a CAD drawing for you, its going to take me half an hour or so.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

I need a photo of the boiler wiring diagram to be sure that I integrate new level control properly. There are more than a few options.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry- I had to runs some errands
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Here is your connection diagram, the dark diagram on the right is a screen shot the wiring diagram

you posted.

http://screencast.com/t/rkCP3do78E

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!. Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer. Feel free to follow up for30 days at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
The yellow wires are very short and the probe is far away from the boiler wiring. How can I resolve that issue? Also,
there are two yellow wire. Do I connect both?
Sorry - I am not very wiring savvy.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, That low water safety cut off switch is a *critical safety device, a licensed boiler service person needs to do that wiring if there is any confusion what so ever.

It will be quite easy for you to make a fatal mistake if you are not very wiring savy.

If you can rate my work positively for the superb CAD drawing I sent you, I will appreciate it, that is how I earn my living. The wiring itself in this case needs to be done by a pro boiler tech.

If you need help locating one, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will get you a short list of the best rated ones in your area.

I will put the rating box up now.