ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

Trying to replace a bulb in a kitchen ceiling light (a

Customer Question

Trying to replace a bulb in a kitchen ceiling light (a recessed fixture but with a cake pan sized glass that protrudes from the ceiling - circa 1984) the bulb broke. Trying to extract the bulb base from the socket, I had to use some force and I pushed
the socket farther into the ceiling. I don't know how or if I can drop the "can" from the ceiling to access and reattach the socket to the can.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Hi Luddite, welcome to justanswer.com

The light fixture appears to be what is known as a retrofit can. If there is any way possible I would not recommend removing the fixture. Is it possible to access the fixture from the attic space? If access from above is not possible, the fixture could be removed but damage to the drywall is likely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No access from above. Not sure why it would be a retrofit. They (3) are original to the house. One in an upstairs room is accessible from the attic and maybe I can get a look at how it is installed. I don't know how the socket is supposed to be attached to the housing. Here's a pic of the other fixture.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

On closer inspection, this appears to be a trim inserted in the housing. This being the case, you should be able to gently remove the trim by pulling it down to gain access to the displaced lampholder. Then the trim should be reinserted after remounting the lampholder.

Just checking in, have you made any progress on getting this resolved? Do you have any questions? Thanks, Ken