Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I cannot figure out how to change the lightbulb in my glass

Customer Question

I cannot figure out how to change the lightbulb in my glass dome ceiling lights. I can remove the "nipple" piece, but the dome itself is held in place by a flat metal piece attached to the post. How does it come off?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Could you upload a picture of the fixture?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are a few pictures of the fixture. Hopefully you can see that odd flat piece clearly.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

With a pliers, turn the exposed nipple counter o clockwise to remove the entire nipple. When removed you can spin that plate off and reuse it after the lamp replacement. Trying to remove it with a tool in place may crack the globe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure that makes sense to me. There isn't really an "exposed nipple" -- just the center post coming down. Are you saying the flat plate will screw off if I use pliers to turn it counter-clockwise?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

The center post is a nipple and when loosened or removed that plate will thread off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, this doesn't work. The center piece will not budge -- and I'm pretty sure it's the rod that's coming down from the fixture and not a removable piece. I'm attaching additional pictures, in case that helps.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

The close up pictures show that there are raised tabs that allow for the turning of the plate for removal. The stem goes all the way up and is threaded into the upper base of the fixture. Either the plate will turn off or the stem will exit the base, either will allow removal of the globe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. What kind of tool do I use to remove the plate? The little tabs are pretty much too small to grasp with a wrench (especially when perched on a ladder and trying to hold the glass part, just in case). Is there a tool that would make it easier to remove?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Nothing I could suggest other than an open jaw on a pair if pliers. It only has to move a little and then you can complete removal with your fingers.