Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Trying to connect ceiling light fixture. The box has 3

Customer Question

Trying to connect ceiling light fixture. The box has 3 wires. Black, red and white. I'm sure black is live, which is neutral?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The white at the ceiling box is the neutral conductor.

2) The red or black can either be used as a switched loop conductor extending from a wall switch or the black or red can be used as a hot conductor to feed other receptacles or wall switches. All depends on how it was originally wired:)

3) Temporarily flip the branch circuit breaker to the OFF position and back the switch out from the wall box but DO NOT disconnect any wires. Take a look at the wire colors on the switch. This will indicate which wire color in the ceiling box is originating from the wall switch.

4) The light fixture hot wire needs to be spliced to the switched loop wire color that leaves the wall switch box and extends to the ceiling. Splice the ceiling white neutral to the light fixture white neutral. Splice any bare copper and/or green ground wires together.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...........Kevin:)