Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I'm installing new energy efficientmulti speed bathroom fans

Customer Question

I'm installing new energy efficientmulti speed bathroom fans (no light) and they have a red wire my home wiring does not just black, white, & green. The illustration looks like I need to connect it with the white. I looked it up, that said to connect it to the black(I did) & the ceiling light flickers & the fan doesn't come on(its for a multi speed motor)
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Give me the count and colors of the wires in the unit. Also, I need the name and model number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4) wires, black, red, white, & ground. Make & model Broan zb110
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

That fan is a 2 speed unit. You need the same color wires from the switch box. You'll also need a single pole double throw center off switch. That allows for the speed change.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's in the breaker?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

In the breaker???? You need to switch the black or the red wires one is low speed the other is high speed. Black, red, white and ground from the switch box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK by switching the black or red wire, meaning only use one?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Power one for low speed or the other for high speed. That's why you need the same number and colors of wires from the switch box. You can omit one by caping it, your choice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advise happy holidays
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Good luck on the install. Looks like a nice fan from the manual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's worth looking for good ones down hear I live in southeast Texas helps with the (HUMIDITY!!!) Cheaper than running the a/c all the time. Take care
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm in Florida and know exactly what you mean.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-4
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

:-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F.Y.I. since you live in a humid environment. & are or maybe considering, I did my homework for about a week on all different fans, the most enrgy effecient fans "Broan" for the smaller ones have (2 110cfm & "Panasonic" for a bit more CFM, I just installed (3) 190cfm they didn't have a red wire! LOL
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Very good.