Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

We are doing a kitchen remodel in our 1956 cinder and brick

Customer Question

Hi, we are doing a kitchen remodel in our 1956 cinder and brick house. We have run into an issue where our light switch is attached to the cinder and plaster wall that we would like to move to another wall. Would the wiring be fished through the cinder? If so, is there a way we can cut the electrical in the attic and reroute?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I assume that your electrical wiring is NM Romex cables? If so, you should be able to perform a visual inspection looking inside the wall box to determine if the cables were fished down in between furring strips or 2"x4" 's or if the box is embedded into the cinder blocks?

2) The most common method of installation would have been for the original electrician to route cables in between the face of the cinder block and furring strips or 2"x4"'s on the inside wall. However, cinder blocks can also be fished thru the block cavity opening. Therefore, either way was possible. All depends upon how the original electrician installed the wiring.

3) Have you confirmed that the electrical was installed from the attic area down the wall to the existing switch box?

4) Do you have a non-contact type of AC voltage electrical tester available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Electrical wiring is NM Romex cables and the box is embedded into the cinder blocks since there is no furring on the wall... It is just Cinder with plaster directly on top.
3) There is definitely some electrical in the attic since the switch we want to move controls the lights above it and one light outside. The attic gets complicated for us since it is just trusses with blown in cellulose insultation and no floorboards. Would like to find a way to not have to go up there since it's a bit sketchy.
4) We have a n AC voltage electrical tester available.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I understand the challenges when going up into an attic area, not fun at all:(

1) I suggest using a non-contact type of AC voltage detector. You will need access to the attic area where the cables are routed. Have an assistant help you by turning the light switch ON & OFF. While the circuit is being turned ON & OFF, take the non-contact voltage detector and scan each Romex cable in the attic. You should then be able to determine and confirm which Romex cable controls the lighting by using the non-contact tester. Once confirmed, turn the branch circuit breaker to the OFF position. Use a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester at the light switch to confirm that no hot conductor is present.

2) Once all is confirmed, you can then cut the Romex cable. Make sure the breaker is in the OFF position before you cut:)

You may or may not be able to remove the Romex cable out from the cinder block wall cavity, all depends upon how it was originally installed and available access to the cable. Once the cable is cut, you will need to install an accessible junction box with a blank cover plate in the attic area for the splices and then re-route the new piece of Romex cable to the desired area.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)